Thursday 11 February 2010

Age Appropriate

I had a very interesting evening last night, my dear seven. I was at my favourite local bar with a work colleague having a few drinks to toast her last day in the office. About a half a bottle in we notice that none other than Divine Brown's old flame is being seating next to us with two of his friends. After first rounds of shock and awe dissipated, it became disappointingly clear that our dear handsome bumbling Brit heart-throb has aged his way into old and pervy and trust me it is not a good look.

Which leads me to the topic at hand: Age.

I'm usually of the school that numbers don't count but I must admit there does come a point where one just thinks, ewww. Par example, I can't help but be grossed out by 42 year old English celeb who's knocked up and marrying her 19 year old boyfriend. That's got Mary Kay Letourneau written all over it. However, that said, the last guy I dated (of note) was 9 years my junior.

So when does it jump the shark? When exactly is someone too young for you or for that matter too old for you?

A friend once gave me some crazy formula that was something along the lines of never date anyone younger than your age divided by two plus seven. Good god - who the hell came up with that?! Probably someone trying to justify dating someone half their age plus seven. If you've got younger hunger just admit it and move on. I don't think some jacked-up formula is going to convince anyone that you're meant to be with someone who was in diapers when you lost your virginity.

I've also read that as women become more successful they are dating younger as the need for the older, more secure male is no longer necessary therefore attraction and youth win out. An intriguing idea at first glance but with the frightening undertones of Sugar Mama attached.

At the end of the day, it is all about connecting with someone. The popular theory is that those closest in age will have the most in common but it's not a hard and fast rule. Many of us, male and female, as we creep up the age scale simply don't feel our age. And we can all agree that years do not equate to maturity.

p.s. I did meet an age appropriate Canadian who was rather cute and interesting last night. He's got my number so hopefully more on that later

No comments:

Post a Comment