Saturday 20 March 2010

Lady-like Behaviour.... What's that?

So let's face it when it comes to dating a lot of what holds us girls back is that voice in the back of our heads saying... 'Alpha! That's not how a lady would behave!'. We think about how we'd like to call, but we don't. We think of what we would like to say, but we never say it. We think of all of the ways we like to just be, but we don't let ourselves go there.

Shame isn't it? To quote a favourite old song, 'It's Not a Shame. It's a Problem'. And here's what the problem is... when does it cross the line between playing the game and denying our instincts?

So tonight I was out with a good friend for drinks describing in detail this HUGE crush I'm currently reckoning with (no it's not the Canadian, we're four weeks in and still haven't fixed a time to meet up). He suggests I email said Crush and invite him out for a drink. To which I responded, 'Wait. Let's step out of gay man's world and into straight girl world. I can't do that".  And of course the answer was Why? Actually, a lot of straight women should probably take the gay man's tactic toward dating which is (as far as I can tell)  to just go for it, but it's so against what we've been taught, whether directly or indirectly, and has therefore been deemed unnatural and highly unadvised.

But why? If we're being honest there's no reason why we shouldn't just put it out there. And not in some desperate, please like me kind of way but in the same way we'd greet a friend whom we haven't seen for ages. If said friend didn't get back to us, would we stalk? No. Follow up incessantly? No. We'd just launch the ball out there and see what is returned.

I like this tactic. I went for it. So now we'll see what happens.

And the big question is - does this go against the last post? No, I don't think so. Coy is coy and putting it out there is putting it out there. Go for it. Seriously, shake it off and go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment